To graduate, students;
- studying in the thesis program have to pass at least 4 elective courses as well as the must courses. (plus two foreign language courses added as Not Included)
- studying in the non-thesis program have to pass at least 8 elective courses as well as the must courses. (plus two foreign language courses added as Not Included)
- For thesis program students: All the elective, must and language courses must be taken within 4 semesters. If a student cannot pass all courses successfully within 4 semesters, s/he will be dismissed from the program.
- In order to view the offered courses, please visit https://oibs2.metu.edu.tr/View_Program_Course_Details_64/
In order to be awarded the master's degree, according to METU Rules and Regulations;
- a master's student in the thesis program must graduate at the end of the 6th term at the latest.
- a master's student in the non-thesis program must graduate at the end of the 3th term at the latest.
In the thesis program, students have to choose their supervisors before the start of the 2nd Semester. Starting from the 2rd semester, those students must add MES599 - Master's Thesis (as a must course) and Special Topics (as an elective course) every semester until graduation. Each professor has their own course code for the Special Studies. Therefore, please consult your supervisor to register into the right course.
In the non-thesis program, students must take their MES589 - Term Project (as a must course)
All students must follow METU Academic Calendar and know METU Rules and Regulations Governing Graduate Studies.
- MES501 - History of the Modern Middle East
- MES502 - Contemporary Affairs in the Middle East
- EUS520 - Research Ethics, Methods and Design in Area Studies (for thesis program)
- MES550 - Seminar in Middle East Studies (for thesis program)
- MES589 - Term Project (for non-thesis program)
- MES599 - Master’s Thesis (for thesis program)